Monday, December 29, 2014

"Lord, Is it I?"‏

so here are the big news. I am staying in Baños...and I am going to be an Aunt!!!!! I am so excited!!!! Lets just say I didn´t believe anyone when they first told me. Had to see the baby bump and then there might have been a little bit of water on my face haha. I am so excited and ready to buy this little baby clothes!!! I might have already gotten a few things but that doesnt matter haha.

Okay so I am just so excited for this new change and this new year. Hermana Morales and I will be working really hard to make lots of changes in this new transfer and she has already been helping me a lot to better my spanish. Sometimes I get frustrated because I say things in Spanish like the Ecuadorians do, but she wants me to have perfect Spanish and so I am going to have perfect Spanish. Im honestly happy because I know that it will make such a huge difference for me in my future!

So now I would like to share with you something that I have been able to learn from my companion and that I wish to apply in my life and maybe you can all try to do that in yours.  First off something about me is that I have kind of strong reactions to lots of things, but I am sure everyone who knows me knows im like that and i might be a little overdramatic sometimes. When I was at home I sometimes had problems with my reactions but for the most part everyone just thought it was funny, here in the mission on the other hand it has been hard for me because I cant just walk away from situations I have to always face them because I am with one person all the time and so something I always said was", but yeah it is who I am. it is a part of my personality I cant change that." One to many lessons learned the hard way has taught me that those words are not true. My companion has showed me with love, kindness, and patience, that actually our whole purpose here is to change the hardest parts of our personalities so that we can become better persons. Maybe it is funny sometimes when I react strongly, but it isn´t something good when I get overally frustrated and mad at other people.  So something I read that I liked a lot that helped me to think through these things and how I could be more humble was in this talk by president Uchtdorf,
"It was our beloved Savior’s final night in mortality, the evening before He would offer Himself ransom for all mankind. As He broke bread with His disciples,  He said something that must have filled their hearts with great alarm and deep sadness. “One of you shall betray me,” He told them.

The disciples didn’t question the truth of what He said. Nor did they look  around, point to someone else, and ask, “Is it him?”
Instead, “they were exceeding sorrowful, and began every one of them to say   unto him, Lord, is it I?1
wonder what each of us would do if we were asked that question by the Savior. Would we look at those around us and say in our hearts, “He’s probably talking about Brother Johnson. I’ve always wondered about him,”or “I’m glad Brother   Brown is here. He really needs to hear this message”?Or would we, like those disciples of old, look inward and ask that penetrating   question: “Is it I?”
In these simple words, “Lord, is it I?” lies the beginning of wisdom and thepathway to personal conversion and lasting change.

How amazing to think of it that way right. There have been so many times when I have been like this looking for the beam in the other persons eye before my own. Then I try to think about it. We all have such a need to change ourselves so that we can be truly humble and like Christ's disciples. lots of times I think I am humble because I visit people who do not have anything, but what difference does that make if I do not try to change myself to be more like them, truly poor in heart.  My Stake President, President White, told me before I came out here that I was going to need to learn to be humble, and as President Uchtdorf says we must think to ourselves sometimes " Lord, is it I?" so that we can remember what we truly have done to change ourselves to serve others.  As you ponder what goals you might set for this new year, think about what goals you can make to make a lasting change in your life. not something that will be easy to accomplish but that will help you to ask this question and know that you have tried your hardest to be a better person and to stregthen yourself to be better.  
I know that these things are true and that they can help us to make a big difference in our lives if we truly desire it.
Con todo el amor que esta en mi corazon, 
Hermana Dunkley
¡Feliz año nuevo!

                            Madison enjoying $10.00 ribs for her Christmas gift to herself
                            Hermana Morales and Hermana Dunkley




No comments:

Post a Comment